Virkon® Aquatic Powder, 10 lb Pail
Virkon® Aquatic is a concentrated disinfectant powder that when mixed with water forms a powerful cleaning and disinfecting solution with efficacy against fish viruses, bacteria, fungi, and molds. Virkon® Aquatic is EPA registered (except in California where registration is pending) for the disinfection of environmental surfaces associated with aquaculture including vehicles (boats, trailers, autos, etc.), nets, boots, waders, dive suits, hoses, brushes, hard surfaces and other similar equipment. Virkon® Aquatic solutions are fast acting, colorless, fragrance free and non-irritating, which makes it the ultimate disinfectant for use in Aquatic applications.
Benefits of Virkon® Aquatic solution include:
- Effective - Kills Viruses, Bacteria, Fungi and Mold. Virkon® Aquatic Efficacy information can be viewed here
- Fast acting - 10 minutes is maximum contact time needed.
- Non-Irritating - Solutions are non-irritating to skin and eyes.
- Minimal Environmental Effect - The ingredients have been carefully selected for their ability to degrade quickly within the environment.
- Labeling - The EPA approved label specifically mentions approvals for use in Aquaculture and Aquatic Applications.
Virkon® Aquatic is the ultimate disinfectant use in fish culture operations. It is independently proven to be highly effective against significant aquatic pathogens and is used around the world. It is considered by many experts to be the best choice for reducing the spread of fish pathogens. As outlined in the Virkon® Aquatic MSDS, once the powder is mixed with water, the working solution is non-irritating to skin and eyes. This is a significant worker safety advantage over many other disinfectants. Before mixing into solution, the power is corrosive and irritating so please follow label directions. MSDS sheets for both Virkon® Aquatic powder and Virkon® solution are available.
Who is Using Virkon® Aquatic to reduce the spread of disease?
- Fisheries Biologists and field staff are using Virkon® Aquatic to disinfect boats, trailers, waders, nets, sampling equipment, and other gear when moving between water bodies.
- Sport Fishers are using Virkon® Aquatic to disinfect boats, fishing tackle, nets, and other fishing gear when moving between lakes and streams.
- Many lake area managers are now recommending boat and trailer disinfection to prevent the spread of fish diseases such as VHS.
- Aquaculture & fish hatchery staff are using Virkon® Aquatic to disinfect hard surfaces, nets, brushes, tanks, waders, dive suits, and other fish rearing equipment.
- Virkon® Aquatic is being used in Zoos, Animal Shelters and Public Aquariums to reduce the spread of pathogens within these facilities. Uses include disinfection of wet suits, vehicles, nets, display area, and equipment.
What concentration of Virkon® Aquatic should I use? - Virkon® Aquatic solutions are made by mixing the Virkon® Aquatic power with water. Working solution strengths are normally 0.5%, 1.0% or 2.0% with the 1.0% concentration being used most often. See Virkon® Aquatic - US Label and Virkon® Aquatic - General Directions. Each 10 lb. tub of Virkon® Aquatic will make 123 gallons of 1.0% solution, or 246 gallons of 0.5% solution.
How long does Virkon® Aquatic solution remain active? - Virkon® Aquatic solutions are colorless, odorless, and will gradually loose activity over time. The Virkon® Aquatic label states that solutions are stable for at least 7 days while some fish hatchery staff are reporting activity lasting for up to 2 weeks. The actual solution life can vary and will be reduced by exposure to organics and UV light.
What is the difference between Virkon® Aquatic and Virkon-S in the USA? Virkon® Aquatic was first made available in the USA in May of 2007 and it is specifically designed for use in fish culture while Virkon-S is designed for use in the production of poultry, swine, and other types of agriculture. Virkon® Aquatic does not contain an indicator dye or perfume as found in Virkon-S. The dye and perfume have been removed to make the product more suitable for use around fish and other aquatic life. According to a statement from DuPont™, Virkon® Aquatic has a formulation based on the same active ingredients as Virkon-S but with inert ingredients that are designed for use in aquatic applications. There are also important EPA labeling differences between Virkon® Aquatic and Virkon-S. The EPA approved label for Virkon® Aquatic contains expanded aquaculture claims and applications and is EPA approved for use in aquaculture. Virkon-S is no longer recommended for use in aquaculture and its label will no longer carry EPA approval for aquaculture claims. Read entire DuPont™ statement at: "How Virkon® Aquatic differs from Virkon-S"
How does Virkon® Aquatic compare to Bleach? Household bleach and 12.5% sodium hypochlorite are commonly used for disinfection purposes and while the cost is low, these products may not always be the best options. Unlike Virkon® Aquatic, bleach is corrosive, unstable, irritating, and rapidly inactivated by organic matter. More information on the comparison of Virkon and Bleach is available at Virkon vs Bleach.
Virkon® Aquatic ships as a Non-hazardous product.
HOW TO MAKE VIRKON™AQUATIC